Literacy, housing education, little league awarded grants

baseball 02

East Nashville Little League, Shelby Park

The neighborhood board voted this month to give $650 grants to three organizations. Since 2013, the Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association has supported local projects that educate, enhance safety, build community, and beautify the neighborhood.

Tennessee Alliance for Progress
The alliance works on affordable housing issues and will use its grant money to promote local educational events. The alliance has scheduled an event, “Affordable Housing, Diversity and the Future of Lockeland Springs,” for 10:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday, May 30 at Village Church, 211 N. 11th Street (across from the East Branch Library). The free meeting will be facilitated by longtime Lockeland residents Bill Friskics-Warren, Michele Flynn and Nell Levin.

East Nashville Little League
The local little league, for ages 4 to 18, applied for a grant to aid in the purchase of equipment. The neighborhood association will be featured on a sponsorship sign at the ball field.

East Nashville Hope Exchange
The non-profit East Nashville Hope Exchange works on literacy for local at-risk children in first through third grades. The exchange has worked on literacy for more than 11 years and serves families in the Stratford and Maplewood clusters.

The annual grant application deadline is April 1.

Then and Now: Holly St. Fire Station

 

Nashville Fire Department station 14 on Holly St. celebrated its 100th anniversary in Oct. 2014. Station 14 went into service Oct. 1, 1914 as the J.B. Richardson Engine Company No. 14, named after a prominent local businessman. Located at 1600 Holly St., it was the first station built in Nashville designed solely for motorized vehicles and its firefighters have protected the residents of Lockeland Springs ever since.

From the 1996, 18th Annual Lockeland Springs Christmas Tour program:
In 1913, when the City of Nashville announced plans to build two new firehalls in outlying suburbs, neighbors organized the Lockeland Improvement League and petitioned to get one built in their neighborhood.

The firehall, designed in the Colonial Revival style by James Yeaman, Nashville’s first city architect, was the first built specifically for motorized vehicles and the first designed to blend into a resident
ial neighborhood. It opened with formal ceremonies on October 1, 1914, as the:
J.B. Richardson
Engine Company No. 14

Richardson was a prominent businessman who had bought the Lockeland Mansion as his country estate and when he died in 1913, the City of Nashville named the Station in his honor.

A. A. Rozetta was Chief of Fire Department when Station 14 opened and today it’s the City of Nashville’s oldest active Fire Station.